Monday, February 22, 2016

PCOS

     PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome which I was diagnosed with about 20 years ago.  At the time I was trying to get pregnant and it just wasn't happening so after a visit with my OB/Gyn I found out why.  PCOS can make it almost impossible to get pregnant because it affects your menstrual cycles.  A simple cure for that most of the time is to lose weight but PCOS can cause weight gain and make it harder to lose weight.  After many heartbreaking negative pregnancy tests we decided to try fertility treatments which were quite expensive but in the end worked.  My first son was born on December 12, 1996.  After his birth I was determined to lose weight; so determined that I turned to very unhealthy ways of going about it.  Within a year of my son's birth I was in the grips of full blown bulimia.  It took me about 14 years to break free of my addiction, even as I typed that I can't believe I did that to myself for 14 years.  My eating disorder did lead to me losing weight and 5 years after my first son was born I gave birth to my twin sons; without the help of fertility drugs.  So you see losing weight can reverse PCOS.  At this point in my life I don't want to have anymore kids but I do want to get healthy because PCOS can cause many health issues.  Among these are:


  • Diabetes
  • Heart Disease
  • Insulin resistance
  • Hair Loss
  • Depression
  • High blood pressure
  • Hormone imbalances
    So you can see there are many important reasons for me to lose weight.  So after a visit with my OB/Gyn last week she decided to put me on Metformin which is a diabetes drug but can be used to treat PCOS.  She also instructed me to eat a low calorie diabetic diet which means low carb.  I've been eating healthy for a few days and I feel pretty good and I'm losing weight. 


   Well I've run out of time, got to get to work but I will be updating my blog more often. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you. I'm starting to go to the gym again because of you. Thanks for being there

    ReplyDelete